There is so much attention given to the sunny beaches in Playa Del Carmen that when it rains it may seem like there is nothing to do except look out the window longingly, waiting for the sun to return. We wanted to brighten your day and let you know what options you have when it is raining.
Indoor Activities in Playa Del Carmen for rainy days
- Go to the movies, both shopping plazas have movie theaters. These theaters are clean and tickets are inexpensive. For more information read our article on movie theaters in Playa Del Carmen.
- You can rest during the day so you can go out at night. Coco Bongo nightclub and show starts at 11pm and goes until about 3am. So you can still get the most of your day, just spend it going to a fun show in the night. (Closed Sunday nights)
- Go shopping. There are the two shopping plazas in Playa Del Carmen. They are small and they are not large malls by any measure, but they are inside and have the theaters there. Cancun has larger malls. We talked about this in our story on Cancun shopping. If you don’t mind walking with an umbrella, walking on 5th Avenue will provide you will about 20 blocks of shopping including the new semi indoor Plaza Quinta Alegria. Quinta Alegria offers about 30 different stores to look at.
- Take a walk on the beach in the rain. The solitude and avoidance of the crowds can help you appreciate nature more. Enjoy the cooler temperature, the rains bring a refreshing air and respite from the heat.
- Get a massage at the beach. We found one option that is tucked away between 4th Street and 6th Street that have a covered space and is a great fresh place to have a massage as you listen to the waves and rain. This is Inti Beach. See our link for more photos and information.
- There are a few casinos for the hard core gamblers. There is a new one right on the main Plaza at 15th Avenue and 10th St. Another large casino is in Plaza Las Americas called Winpot. This are not Vegas style casinos with entertainment. They will twiddle your time away playing if you like gambling.
- The large eco parks, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, and Xplor are all open when it rains. Only when there is severe weather, then operations are limited. Of the three the best one is Xcaret. This park highlights Mexican culture and shows. It has an indoor aquarium, a re-created hacienda, underground rivers to swim in and an epic show at night that is over two hours long. It is a large park and you will need a rain poncho or umbrella if you want to stay dry but there is a lot to see at this eco park. The 1/2 day park of Xenses is not bad if it is raining because many of the activities are indoor plus you are going to be wet anyways.
- The aquarium in Playa Del Carmen is a great way to spend an hour inside. This is in the middle of Playa Del Carmen on 14th Street.
- Visit the 3D Museum in Playa Del Carmen. This museum is indoor and full of photo ops. You can spend about 1-2 hours here having fun.
- In the morning you can catch a candy making demonstration some mornings at Kanki candy store. Check link for times and open hours. This is a great kids activity.
- Go out and have a leisurely meal somewhere. May we suggest Sanborns (in Quinta Alegria Plaza 5th Ave. and Constituyentes Ave.) because they have indoor and rooftop terrace seating or Aldea Corazon Restaurant (5th Avenue and near 14th Street) because of the nice atmosphere, good food and nice music. Sitting upstairs at Ula Gula (5th Avenue and 10th Street) and having a great lunch or dinner while viewing 5th Avenue would be nice as well.
- Enjoy some drinks and get to know some new people. Some very social bars are La Ranita on 10th street between 5th Avenue and 10th Avenue and Wah Wah beach bar at 2nd Street and the beach. For sports we recommend Tequila Barrel on 5th Avenue between 10th and 12th Streets and EZ Sports Bar also on 5th between 12th and 14th Streets. For these and other bars, check out our Bar Guide to Playa.
- Have some coffee at a coffee house or Mayan hot chocolate at Ah Cacao Chocolate Café. Chou Chou Café is also a great place to relax, plus they have Wi-Fi!.
- Visit a craft store and have a craft day. We really like the art supply store on 10th St between 15th Avenue and 20th Avenue. It is called Academika. There are two floors of art supplies for painting, drawing, jewelry making or most things you can think of. There is also a craft store with a lot of ides located in Plaza Pelicanos located on 10th Avenue between 8th Street and 10th Street.
- Visit Rio Secreto eco park underground river. It is an almost all inside the caves under the Yucatan and located just outside of Playa Del Carmen in the south end of town. The weather wont bother you a bit down there!
- Get fit! All the gyms in Playa have day passes. Our favorite gym to recommend is Evolve Gym on 24th Street and 5th Avenue. We like this gym because it has a full range of new machines, large windows and is air conditioned. There are also independent places where you can take yoga.
- One easy trip to Cancun can land you at the Plaza Las Americas Mall where you can visit the super fun Sky Zone indoor trampoline park. This is great for kids and adults that like to bounce around.
- You can rest up and spend the evening going to Cirque Du Soleil’s Joya show. Some nights there are two performances to choose from. This is not just a show, it is an experience. You can enjoy the landscaped area and even have drinks by the cenote before or after the show.
- Visit the Rauxa Show. This is a new dinner theater show that is between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. The show is great and so is the dinner. You can read our review of Rauxa here.
Playa Del Carmen does not have museums or a lot of inside activities but fortunately we get lots of days of sun for going to the beach. So just in case you are here when it does rain, keep this article in mind for ideas.
Do you have other tips for tourist on rainy days? Let us know in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.