What are the best dive shops in Playa Del Carmen?
The good news for divers is the fact that diving in Mexico is well regulated. Safety is important and in this part of Mexico you will find a much more organized and professional group of dive shops. In fact, there are no really bad dive shops in Playa Del Carmen. There are however many to choose from, so how do you know what is the best dive shops in Playa Del Carmen? We take a look at some things to look at and recommend dive shops we have been with and are very good.
What makes a dive shop good?
Here are some factors that come into play when trying to figure out what is the best dive shop in Playa Del Carmen to go with.
- What is the size of the dive shop? Most people will recommend smaller sized dive shops since they can give more personal service and you are note treated like a number.
- Does the dive shop have it’s own boat? Some prefer the option to leave directly from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel to go diving. However, some people prefer the Cozumel Ferry because it can be a smoother ride.
- What equipment do they use? What is the quality of wetsuits, tanks and masks like?
- The reputation of the guides. In many parts of the world it is common for an instructor to pick up a job for a few months while visiting somewhere. Here in Playa Del Carmen, as we mentioned it is regulated and dive shops have to comply with immigration laws. However having guides that know the area well and have been with the company a while speaks well of how the dive shop is run.
- Don’t judge by price. The cost of a dive, equipment and payment to locations are basic fixed cost. If a dive shop is cheaper, it usually means they are scrimping on something.
Why diving in Playa Del Carmen is a good option
The Riviera Maya is known for excellent diving including the island of Cozumel. You have many locations you can base yourself in for the diver on vacation. Playa Del Carmen can be a good location for diving because you have several options all located nearby. You have ocean diving, going to Cozumel, or cenotes dives. If the weather is not the best, you have different options to go diving. This is what draws many divers to the use dive shops in Playa Del Carmen.
2 recommended dive shops in Playa Del Carmen
Here are two dive shops that we have gone with and recommend. We will add to this list when we come across other companies that provide good services.
Note: We recommend these dive shops because they are considered some of the best. We make nothing off commissions, that is why we have you book directly with them if you choose them. We like to individually choose good quality services in Playa Del Carmen for our readers so you can have a great time here!
Tank Ha Dive Shop
Tank Ha an ecological dive shop that believes in continual education so that divers never stop improving their skills which leads to an enhanced enjoyment of the sport here in the Riviera Maya. We feel that if you stop by their shop on 1st Avenue between 20th and 22 Streets and talk to them, you will feel very comfortable with and see for yourself that this is a good dive shop.
Here are a few good things to note about this dive shop:
- PADI 5-Star Dive Center, operating since 1990.
- They take you direct to Cozumel. No need to take the ferry.
- All guides are instructors.
- In house guides
- They own their own tanks.
- They are a Cressi partner shop.
- Use long wetsuits.
- The owners work in the shop.
- They prefer small groups and are happy to take just one person to dive in cenotes or Playa Del Carmen.
Our video about going diving with Tank Ha
Blue Life Dive Shop
Blue Life Dive Shop offers a lot of variety in locations you can go diving. This is a smaller dive shop that like to customize the experience for you and has good guides. Blue Life is located on Avenue Flamingo and the corner of 40th Street.
See our video with Blue Life Dive Shop
Do you have an experience with a good dive shop in Playa Del Carmen? Let us know in the comments below.