The Barcelo Maya Riviera Hotel Review
The Barcelo Maya Riviera Hotel is a fairly new addition to the Barcelo collection in the Riviera Maya. This adults only hotel offers guests a modern hotel with a largest infinity pool in the Riviera Maya overlooking a beautiful beach. So what more does this hotel offer? What can you expect from a stay at this stylish hotel? We stayed here so we could bring you this video and article so you can see if this is a hotel for your next trip to Mexico.
Our Video Review of the Barcelo Maya Riviera Hotel
We like to visit each hotel so we can tell you exactly what it is like, plus answer any questions for you. We hope you enjoy the video.
The Rooms at the Hotel
This hotel has 850 rooms. More than 500 have ocean views and 110 have private pools. So this kind of gives you the size and breakdown of the types of rooms you can book here. A majority of the rooms have an ocean view, which is nice because the view is spectacular. The first level has swim out suites.
Overall, our first impression, and lasting impression of the rooms, was very good. They are spacious compared to a standard hotel room. The rooms are modern and well lit. All facilities are newer and function very well for the modern traveler. Compared with some older resorts, we certainly liked the new feel and clean design.
Tip for booking: We really recommend the ocean view rooms! The views are great plus it makes it even more likely you will use the hot tub on the terrace. At night the lights are beautiful around the pool area and you will have a good view if you have ocean view rooms.
All the rooms here come with either King size beds or two beds if you prefer that. The king size here is a “super king” and was specially designed for the Barcelo Maya Riviera. The super king beds and linens are very comfortable. You will be impressed with the extra space. The multiple bedside lighting also makes it very comfortable for reading or one person staying up a little later.
The open Wi-Fi internet works well at the hotel and covers most of the property. The TVs have cable with enough channels to keep you entertained during your stay here.
Activities And Entertainment
For most, you just might be most entertained by the pool and beach, but if you want something else, what is there to do here at the hotel? There are weekly schedules of events that you can try your hand at. There is everything from Spanish classes to Yoga. Some of the other things you can do at the hotel are:
- Use snorkels for a free one hour a day to explore the ocean.
- Go deeper by diving or an organized snorkel tour. There are also jet skis and fishing trips (all subject to additional cost).
- Full spa on the property for pampering.
- Use the fully equipped gym.
- Located on the larger Barcelo property is the Ventura Fly and Ride adventure park.
- The nightly shows can be a nice outing. Large double decker busses shuttle guests between hotels to visit the shows.
Dining Options At The Barcelo Maya Riviera Hotel
The Barcelo Maya Rivera has one buffet restaurant called Miramar and four restaurants. The restaurants are the Agave Restaurant (Mexican restaurant), Dolce Vita Restaurant (Italian restaurant). La Comedie Restaurant (French), and the Sapporo Restaurant (Japanese fusion restaurant). The restaurants here are very well designed and a lot of thought was put into the décor to make for a good experience. In addition to the restaurants on the property, you can also visit the other restaurants on the other Barcelo properties if you have the all inclusive plan.
The a la carte restaurants require a reservation and have a simple dress code in the hotel. We really liked the Sapporo Restaurant while sitting at the grill table. It is part show and part dinner. It makes for a memorable evening and a chance to talk to fellow guests.
Our Top 3 Favorite Things About This Hotel
In no particular order, these are our top things we like about this hotel.
- The beach. Hotels all along the Riviera Maya have different beaches. The shape of the beach here is a “W” shape composed of two bays. The beach at both ends are rocky points, but in-between lays beautiful sandy beaches with palm trees. The water is beautiful and good for swimming. Since this hotel is next to the other Barcelo hotel properties, you can walk a good distance just on the beach or sidewalk trails that parallels the beach.
- The pool. The pool here is enormous. In fact, it is the largest infinity pool in the Riviera Maya. There are swim up bars and also the Music Bar where you can listen to Music and enjoy the lively vibe of the pool. There are also many types of lounge chairs, hammocks and these sunbeds that look like a clam shell.
- The rooms. We really prefer the newer hotels because they feel more modern and comfortable. For example, the USB plugs, led lighting an good air-conditioning all make for a more comfortable stay.
Our Recommendations For This Hotel
If you are already familiar with the Barcelo hotels, you might feel pretty comfortable at this new hotel that is an adult only hotel. If your kids have grown, you might want to try an adults only hotel where the focus is more on what you might want.
We noticed after a stay at the Barcelo Maya Riviera Hotel that it was very handicap friendly. There are ramps, large spaces and much of the property in one one or two levels that you would need access to. This makes it a very easy hotel for people with mobility issues to get around.
The location of the hotel is in the middle of the Riviera Maya. This makes it easy to get around to different tour spots. Some people like all inclusive hotels near Playa Del Carmen, for example, because people like to go into town for a night. If you have already done this and are looking for just a vacation on a resort, this can be an all inclusive hotel for you. Not only do you have the facilities at the Barcelo Maya Riviera Hotel, but you can also visit the entire Barcelo Maya Grand Resort and take advantage of some activities there.
Overall, this is a step up from the other Barcelo hotels, giving adults a chance to enjoy a vacation without children. Compared to some of the older resorts in the Riviera Maya, we would much rather stay here because you have a newer hotel to enjoy.
Thank you for reading our article and watching our video about this adults only all inclusive hotel option right here in the Riviera Maya. We love to bring you all things that you might need for your visit to the area.