If you haven’t noticed it yet, you will soon see that Playa Del Carmen is a city of fit people. The gyms in Playa Del Carmen are busy with gym bunnies. With a beach crowd that is ready for swimsuit season year round and there is no such thing as “winter weight” people tend to be more fit. Even retired people get on the fitness bandwagon and use their free time to stay in good shape to take on living in their 60’s, 70’s and 80’s while living in Playa. Working out is also popular among local youth because the peer pressure and presence of so many European fit people that come here and the amount of jobs in the Riviera Maya that are dance, acrobatic or entertainment related.
Gyms have been gaining in popularity and prices are not as cheap as you might expect especially considering the pay scale here. Here is a gym guide to seven gyms that are located in Playa Del Carmen. Besides gyms there are dozens of fitness classes like yoga, dance, crossfit, martial arts and even pole dancing classes. We will cover more of those in other articles.
Here is the list of gyms in Playa Del Carmen
We say Evolve Gyms because they have three in the central area of Playa Del Carmen. If you get a membership at the gym located on 24th St between 5th and 10th Avenue you can work out at all four of their gyms in Playa. One of their gyms is not in the center of town but convenient if you live further back from the beach.
Evolve Gym (24th St)
This is the flagship gym for Evolve and our favorite gym. It has air-conditioning and the most modern of the three gyms Evolve owns. This gym is 15,o00 sq. ft. of space with full locker rooms (sauna) juice bar, personal training and lots of classes. This is usualy the best overall gym to join and the one we recommend to people coming to Playa Del Carmen. The type of people go there are the medium to upper income level locals, expats that live nearby and tourist looking for a good gym.
Calle 24 (between 5th and 10th Avenues)
984 803 0986
Monday-Friday 6:00 am – 11:00 pm. Saturday 7:00 am – 9:00 pm Sun8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Evolve Gym (6th St.) Playa Del Carmen
This gym is an old hardcore gym with painted weights and no air-conditioning. It is however a good place to get workouts in if you are serious about working out. There is a small juice and protein bar, but not always open. There are three floors to this gym. Cardio on the first floor along with legs machines, two classrooms on the second floor, one of which is spinning, weights and abs room, and the top floor is weights and a covers porch area that serves as a space for martial arts classes and boxing training. This gym gets a local crowd, a few foreigners that live in Playa Del Carmen now and a few tourist looking for a cheaper day pass.
Calle 6 Norte between 30th and 35th Avenue.
Monday 6am-10pm Saturday 7am-8pm Closed Sundays
Evolve Gym ( Juarez Avenue)
This gym is located on the second floor of this building with views of Juarez Avenue and the Highway. It is air-conditioned but always feels just a little warmer then you would want. The large glass windows don’t help it. It does have a OXXO convenience store on the first floor of this building. There is also a juice bar in the gym. It has one bright and cheery class room and good equipment although not extensive. This gym gets mainly locals that are fairly fitness minded. Located on the corner of Juarez Avenue and the Highway, Northwest corner.
Monday-Friday 6:00am-10:00pm Saturday 7:00am-8:00pm. Closed Sundays.
Evolve Gym Constituyentes Avenue
This is the fifth gym opened by Evolve. This one is at Constituyentes Avenue and 95th Avenue. It is on the second floor of a small plaza. This gym has all new equipment and two class rooms. This is a fan cooed gym so no air-conditioning. Also bring a towel to this gym because there is no towel service.
Monday-Friday 6:00am-11:00pm. Saturday 7:00am-8:00pm. closed Sundays.
Bit Fitness Gym
This is a new gym along the highway across from Centro Maya shopping Plaza. Bit Fitness is on the second floor of the plaza here. It has an cardio area, free weights, classes and weight machines. This gym is more about fitness classes like circuit training classes.
Prices at Bit Fitness Gym
- Day pass 200 pesos.
- Gym only (no classes) 700 pesos a month.
- Gym with 8 classes a month 800 pesos.
- Gym with 12 classes a month 1000 pesos.
- Gym and unlimited classes a month 1350 pesos.
Hours of Bit Fitness Gym
Monday-Friday 6:00am-Noon and 5:00pm-10:00pm. Saturday 8:00am-noon. Sunday closed.
The Gym Playa Del Carmen
The Gym is popular for day pass guests, tourist, and the gym elite and fitness bunnies. It is the most upscale and expensive gym in Playa Del Carmen. It has good equipment, a lot of services and central location. The Gym offers a snack bar, towel service, tons of classes, personal training and open 7 days a week so no excuse for slacking or not going. Check out the DJ nights at the gym, workout and have a live DJ spin for you. With this membership you get discounts and perks around Playa, ask for details when checking out the gym.
Hours or oporation
Monday – Friday 6am-12pm Saturdays 7am-7pm Sundays 8am-5pm.
1st. Avenue between Constituyentes Avenue and 16th Street.
Anytime Fitness Gym
This gym is for the people that want no excuse for going to the gym because they are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year. This gym is also good for people living on the other side of the highway.
Bathrooms, showers, parking, free weights, machines, cardio equipment, classes and personal training.
On the corner of Avenue Colosio and Avenue Chemuyil.
Muscle Beach Gym in Playa Del Carmen
This is a more basic gym found in the Colosio neighborhood. It has three floors and is an open air gym without air conditioning. Tip: Mornings and late evenings are best to come here. In the afternoon it gets more full sun. Even though this is a more basic gym it is very clean. It gets a local crowd and a few tourist that are staying on the north end of Playa and looking for an inexpensive day pass.
Monday -Friday 6:00am-10:00pm. Saturday 8:00am-8:00pm. Closed Sundays.
10th Avenue and the corner of 70th Street.
This is a boxing gym in Playa Del Carmen. It is one of the best places to get training and practice. This gym is solely for boxing and the different types. Boxing enthusiast should check this place out. Check the link for class schedule and prices. The Union is on 10th Avenue between 42nd Street and 44th Street.
A G M Fight House
This is a gym with MMA, Jui Jitsu, Muay Thai, kick boxing and boxing. There is a small area for weights, classroom, professional ring and MMA cage. At this gym you can find knowledgeable teaches and instructors for the disciplines they cover.
Prices for this gym are 800 pesos for one type of discipline, 950 for two disciplines, or 1,050 for all types of classes. Day passes are 250 pesos.
This gym is on the corner of 40th Avenue and Juarez Avenue. The entrance is on 40th Avenue. The gym is on the second floor.
Gym tips for Playa Del Carmen
Here are some tips that apply more for Playa Del Carmen then other places in the world.
1. There are no drinking fountains. The reason being that Playa Del Carmen does not have drinking water coming out of the faucets. It is all bottled water. So bring your own water to the gym. This means going to the store for lots of bottled water because it is not good to reuse cheap plastic bottles. You might want to invest in a large insulated drinking container. This way you can reuse it and also it will not sweat so much leaving water rings around the gym.
2. Bring a sweat towel. Check with your gym of your choice if they have towels. Most do not and it is obligatory to bring one with you. Not all gyms have air-conditioning or air-conditioning that is cold enough to keep you from sweating. However most of the upper end gyms do offer towels and some air conditioning.
3. Sweaty clothes will either have to be air dried before throwing them in the laundry or you might hand wash clothes to deep clean them. Laundry services don’t always deep clean really dirty clothes so you might notice them starting to smell after you start to use them again even though they were cleaned. You can rinse with water and soak clothes in water with a cap of bleach or vinegar to kill bacteria, then wash with soap and dry.
4. Not all gyms have lockers, so you might want a hip pouch to hold sunglasses or keys.
5. Take care of your skin! After sweating make sure you rinse off. It is hot in Playa Del Carmen and you will find yourself sweating a lot. So keeping your skin clean and dry will help prevent heat rash. To read more about taking care of your skin in Playa Del Carmen, see our article about it here.
6. Not all gyms are open on Sundays. Thank goodness, at least one excuse not to go every day of the week!
7. Don’t wear flip flops. It is a beach town but these are not allowed. It is not that sneakers will protect your feet from falling weights but they do give you better traction and footing and this prevents accidents.
8. Not all classes offered are in the basic membership. Cross fit is huge now and often is offered with gym memberships or for an additional charge.
Prices for Gyms in Playa Del Carmen
Prices for gyms can fall into day passes for those here for a short time, week passes and then monthly gym memberships. We will not give exact prices here because each gym has promotions and sometimes different prices for two or three people signing up together. The first two gyms though have the more expensive memberships though. We will say gyms on our list range from about 450-1100 pesos a month and day passes range from 80-200 pesos.
So what are the top three considerations for where to join a gym in Playa Del Carmen? Location, price, and air-conditioning. We will present the information and you can make the selection.
What is your favorite gym in Playa Del Carmen? Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!