Flight tours to see everything!
We are all the time going on different tours to tell you what they are like and what things there are to do here. We recently went on a flight tour over the Riviera Maya to Tulum and Sian Ka’an Reserve. It truly was an amazing tour and something we want to share with you. This is just one of the options for a scenic flight over the area.
Lets first start with our video we made of going down the coast, over Tulum ruins and a loop in Sian Ka’an. If anyone is having a hard time making a decision to come to the area, make them watch this video!
Our video of our flight tour over Tulum and Sian Ka’an
So what are the basics of going on a scenic flight?
Taking off from Playa’s airport (PCM)
The first thing you should know is that flights take off right here from Playa Del Carmen (flights can also leave from Cozumel Airport for guest staying on the island or arriving by cruise ship). They leave from the small airport at the south end of town. This makes it very easy to get from your hotel to the plane. You will meet your captain and within minutes you are through security and on the runway.
With just a short taxi on the runway you will be taking off over Playa Del Carmen. In minutes you will be seeing the stunning blue waters of the Caribbean and the shoreline of Playa Del Carmen.
Where can you go on these flight tours?
Do you want to see the coastline? Mayan ruins? or just take a flight tour to a remote island to explore? You can! So much more is possible when you take a flight. Here are some of the standard tours that are recommended but you can also create your own itinerary for your flight.
- Chichen Itza. Fly to the Chichen Itza Airport where you will get a chance to get off and see the ruins with no long drive. Plus along the way you get stunning views.
- Holbox Island. One of the more beautiful islands off the coast that is not open to mass tourism. You will land at the small airport on the island and be walking the sandy beaches with a plate of ceviche in no time flat. This is a day trip option.
- Fly over Tulum ruins and Sian Ka’an. Discover the beauty of the Riviera Maya and one of the most stunningly visual ruins in the world.
- Cozumel Island. See all sides of the island and things that no other tour can show you plus see the famous turquoise waters that have attracted divers for decades.
- Merida Yucatan. Discover the colonial side of the Peninsula in just one short flight. You can even get a chance to see Uxmal ruins, our favorite ruins in the peninsula! You will get a whole other feel for this part of Mexico by visiting here and you can do it all within one day.
How many people can go on a flight?
These flights are all customized to what you would like. You can even go on a tour as one person if you like. Their fleet of planes ranges from small 6 passenger planes to space for 12 people. If you do have a larger group (more than 12), they are able to accommodate you and can give you a group rate.
What days are the scenic tours?
These tours are offered 365 days a year. They should be reserved in advance since they are limited. Don’t worry about the weather though, they have a refund policy if the weather is bad. They do however try to reschedule with you if possible so you don’t miss this experience.
How much do these flights cost?
Here are some sample prices for the tours.
- Chichen Itza. Between $1,250-$3,300 (The $3,300 is for 12 people or $275 per person)
- Cozumel Island tour. Between $395-$650 (The $650 is for 5 people or $130 per person)
- Isla Holbox tour: Between $750-$1,800 (The $1,800 is for 12 people or $150 per person)
- Sian Ka’an tour. Between $750-$1,000 ( The $1,000 is for 5 people or $200 per person)
- Four Mayan ruins sites in one flight tour! Chichen Itza, Coba, Tulum and Ek Balam. Between $795-$3,100 (the $3,100 is for 12 people and about $258 per person)
Note: There is an airport tax of $15-$25 per person payable at the airport.
How to book these flight tours
It is recommended that you book in advance. Often in high season these are booked and of course you want to pick the best time during your vacation for this unique tour experience.
For more information and booking you can email the flight company directly below.
Do you have a question or comment about these scenic flight tours? Let us know below in the comment section.