Looking for the best seafood restaurants in Playa Del Carmen? Here are all the places we recommend. We hope you have a great meal at one and if you liked it, let us know in the comments below.
Here is how to use this guide. Select the category you are interested in and read the review. See if this fits what you are looking for and then you can click on the link to each restaurant for hours, a map and more information. We hope you have some great seafood while here in Playa Del Carmen.
Note: Like all our guides, we update them often. When a new restaurant in Playa Del Carmen opens or one closes it is reflected in this guide. We also remove or add restaurants if the quality changes.
Best Seafood Restaurants in Playa Del Carmen (High end category)
- Catch Restaurant This Playa Del Carmen restaurant is on top of the Thompson Hotel and features a stunning view overlooking the roof tops of Playa Del Carmen and out over the ocean. This is a seafood and meat restaurant that is upscale. It basically comes down to it if you can afford it, check this place out, you will have a good time and a good meal. You can expect to pay 300-1000 pesos per person for a meal. The cocktails are also very good at this restaurant.
- C-Grill This is one of the only beachfront restaurants on the list, but they did not make it just for the location. This is a Mediterranean style restaurant with many items coming off the grill. There is both seafood and meat options here. There is a creative menu created by their chef and the restaurant has a small scale feel to it. Since they offer the same menu at lunch, we recommend dinner as a better option. Enjoy the sea breeze as you have an upper scale meal.
- El Muelle This is small restaurant on upper 5th Avenue where many locals like a nice meal out and it is not just a tourist place. Expect good quality here and upper end prices.
- NAU Mediterranean Seafood A real surprise in the restaurant scene is the independent NAU Restaurant. They wanted a restaurant off the busy 5th Avenue and a place where they could focus on service and the quality of the food. This is a Mediterranean style restaurant with a fun gourmet take on the menu. Here you can get both seafood and meat options that make everyone happy. You get a great combination of service, quality, and value here. This should be toward the top of your list to try our for a nice meal. Also enjoy good cocktails here.
Best Modern Take on Seafood
- Leche De Tigre This is a counter in the Paseo Del Carmen market. They have different flavors and styles of ceviche and seafood. Their prices are affordable and this makes for a nice casual place to sit and have some seafood especially if you are on the south end of town shopping in the Paseo Del Carmen mall.
- Los Aguachilies This was one of the original restaurants that veered off the traditional taco and tostada recipes. While still good and popular, the newer restaurants have taken some of the wind from their sails. There are two locations for this restaurant but we prefer the location on 34th Street because it is more calm and seems to be better. They have two casual open air restaurants in Playa Del Carmen.
- Los Hijos de la Tostada This place has rocketed to the top because they have great tasting tostadas and good value (aka good prices). For about 40-50 pesos you can get a nice gourmet tostada and two can fill you up. From the small original storefront they now have opened right on 5th Avenue! This is a youthful and casual place and they have put on notice the old standby restaurant, Los Aguachilies. The new fusion of modern seafood taste on a tostada is a winner with most people. Try the Tuna Sellado tostada and Camaron Roca tostada! Their tuna burger is great as well!
- La Fisheria is a restaurant designed by a famous Mexican Chef. This restaurant is a little more corporate than a boutique standalone restaurant. This restaurant is right on 5th Avenue and poised to allure tourist in. It is a decent place with some menu items better than others. This is a large restaurant with a good amount of seating. This is an easy place for tourist to come to and get a full meal of seafood. Also this is the best seafood restaurant in Playa Del Carmen for a large group due to their seating capacity.
- Puerto Cocina Urbana This is a hidden gem of a restaurant in Playa Del Carmen and fairly new. We have been telling people about this place and want them to succeed. They are hidden off 5th so many people have walked by and not noticed them. This restaurant is a welcome addition to Playa Del Carmen because they bring a unique take on seafood. This is their second restaurant in Mexico and they bring the food stylings of Tijuana. This is an affordable and casual restaurant where you can get gourmet tacos to chimichangas. In addition to the food they have a wide range of artisanal beers which people should be finding out about.
- Tacontenedor They have a small menu that focuses on seafood tacos and burgers all with an Ensenada, Mexico twist. This is a cute outdoor restaurant just off 5th Avenue that affords clients to enjoy a meal with interesting salsas. They offer some craft beers, Mezcal and Tequila here. We do really like the seafood burgers here.
Best Seafood Restaurants in Playa Del Carmen (local restaurants)
- Chiltepin Restaurant is local feeling and their location on 34th Street will almost make you feel like you are eating at someones back yard. There is a small pool here for kids. The menu goes great with beer and is a casual restaurant. This is a lower mid priced restaurant. This is the perfect place to get a michelada (a beer with lime juice, chili and Worcestershire sauce). We much prefer the location on 34th over the location on Constituyentes Avenue.
- El Doctorcito is a small corner ceviche restaurant with a few other options. It is too bad it is kind of hidden from street passerby’s and traffic. It is close in the center and have one of the best ceviches in Playa. They cook in the style if Sinaloa, Mexico. This is a vey casual restaurant with benches and plastic tables but the focus is on the food. This is a low mid priced restaurant.
- El Pirata is an old institution in Playa Del Carmen. It is a seafood restaurant that is always busy. It is not gourmet but old school fried fish and beer type of place. It is not necessarily the most fancy but does have fresh fish and locals like it for the consistency. Go here for a casual local feel. Plastic chairs and sometimes live music. This is a mid priced restaurant.
- El Oasis is a seafood taco and seafood restaurant on the highway. This is similar to La Floresta Restaurant so if you had to choose one, we recommend this one. There is a bigger menu at El Oasis and a slightly more cheerful and fun atmosphere in the open air restaurant. The food is decent with a local traditional way of making the seafood. Think fried shrimp tacos and fish in garlic and butter. That is the style of seafood here. This is a very casual restaurant. It has lower mid priced food.
- La Mission is an old school restaurant in Playa Del Carmen that has a lot of care for the seafood and customers. They have several restaurants and have about 30 years of experience in the area. While this restaurant in Playa Del Carmen is not in a popular location, people do seek it out and some like the fact that it does not change much. The plates have not gone new fangled gourmet but the quality of the seafood is there. This place has a local feel and mid to upper level prices. You can go here for a nice meal out and be able to take the family here. There is seating under the palapa or in the garden in the back.
Do you have a favorite seafood restaurant in Playa Del Carmen? Let us know in the comments below.