Everyone likes to come to Playa Del Carmen and sit on the beach and have a meal at a restaurant. Here is our list of beachfront restaurants in Playa Del Carmen. See the end of the article for our recommendations for the best beachfront restaurants to go to.
Map of Beachfront Restaurants in Playa Del Carmen
- Senor Frogs. This is a beachfront bar/beach club/restaurant. Senor Frogs has been in Mexico so long it has practically become part of the culture. It is cheesy and serves typical bar food but guest seem to enjoy the lighthearted atmosphere. You can use the chairs for free when you eat here if you want to chill on the beach. You can also eat in the restaurant overlooking the beach just south of the Cozumel Ferry Pier.
- Las Pinatas. This restaurant has a palapa roof and is just on the north side of Park Fundadores where the big statue is. It sits on the corner of the square and the beach. Our recommendation: FORGET THIS PLACE!!!! This is one of the most ridiculously priced restaurants in Playa and preys on tourist to fall for the beach front location in order to snag them to pay about double what they should. NO ONE SHOULD PAY THESE PRICES FOR THIS FOOD! And to top it off, it is not great food.
- Wah Wah. This is a large beach club with tables on the beach and beach chairs. There is also seating inside the large palapa.The menu is slightly more North American and the real benefit to eating here is getting a beach chair for laying around. They do have a lot of beach chairs here.
- La Tarraya Restaurant. Perhaps the oldest beachfront restaurant in Playa Del Carmen. Here the food is basic and the recipes are about as old as the restaurant. There are nice palm trees in front of this place and their drink prices are good. If it is a beautiful day out and you like the charm of old Playa, you might come here just don’t expect new fangled cuisine or gourmet. Portions are on the smaller side but the prices are small also. To see more about Tarraya, see our article here.
- Yan Ten Restaurant. This is an old school restaurant that serves basic seafood and drinks. There is not much special about it except is super casual beach vibe. Maybe the one good things about it is there might be space at a table since it is less popular. Don’t expect anything great here, but it is low key and on the beach. They have tables inside and on the beach and a few beach loungers. To see photos and our article about Yan Ten Restaurant, click here.
- C-Grill at the Thompson Hotel. This new option is one of the high end options on the beach where you can have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Perhaps best suited for a nice dinner overlooking the ocean, you can find a Mediterranean inspired menu with seafood and meats. Most things hit the grill before hitting your table. This is a small scale restaurant so you still get an intimate feeling here. To read more about C-Grill see our article here and also video.
- Zenzi. This is a bar and restaurant with tables inside and on the deck so you don’t have to get your feet sandy if you don’t want to. This is more a place to come in the evening with friends for a drink. It is popular because it has a nice beachfront location that is open later and many of the smaller and older restaurants close by sunset.
- Blue Parrot. Known as a nightclub for a long time, this has transformed into a beach club, event space and restaurant. The food at the restaurant is surprisingly good! They have seafood and organic food when possible. This is a surprising find and a great place for lunch. Just look at the grilled shrimp tacos below! There is the beach club next to the restaurant with music but you still have great food and the ocean view here. To see more about the Blue Parrot Restaurant, see our article here.
- Indigo Beach Club. Breakfast is the time to come here. They have a breakfast menu and a small buffet of things like breads, cereals and fruits. You can start your day here with your feet in the sand and a beach view for your eyes. To see more about this restaurant, see our article here.
- Mamitas. This large beach club has a restaurant. This can be a good place for a beach business meeting or a place to get out of the sun for a while. Most other people forgo the restaurant and just order from their beach bed.
- Canibal Royal. This is a beach club but also serves up some good beach food like seafood. Think ceviche and seafood tostadas. This is the last place in Playa you can eat at before you run out of beach and town. This place is a little less touristy and know more by trendy locals. The view from the second level is worth it to make the trip here. See more about Canibal Royal in our review here.
Our Recommendation for Best Beachfront Restaurants in Playa Del Carmen
- For breakfast we recommend Indigo Beach Club. It is relaxed with nice umbrellas and is a good way to start your day.
- For lunch we like Blue Parrot. It seems a little weird to be eating in a nightclub and on 12th Street but once you sit down and have some food you will be thinking about how good it is instead of other things.
- For dinner if you are looking for that special occasion and an upscale restaurant, the C-Grill is the place to go. It is quiet and the sea breeze through the palms will make for a memorable time.
Do you have some favorite beachfront restaurants in Playa Del Carmen, let us know in comments below!